Indian restaurant Horley slammed by health inspector for poor hygiene and risk of food poisoning

0

An Indian restaurant in Surrey has been told ‘urgent improvement’ is needed after several ‘very serious’ food safety issues were identified, putting diners at risk of food poisoning.

Curry Inn, in Massetts Road, Horley, received a food hygiene rating of 0 following October 2021 inspection, full details of which have been shared with SurreyLive after a request to Reigate and Banstead Borough Council to see the full report.

During the visit, an inspector found unpackaged frozen meats that should have been stored in food-grade containers, but were instead in supermarket plastic bags in the freezer.

READ MORE: Southern Rail apologizes for overcrowded Redhill station ‘carnage’ amid safety fears

A “foul liquid” also spilled from the bin onto the floor, which the inspector said could have encouraged the pests.

It was found that the chef also decanted raw ground lamb from one container to another using the same serving spoon. The contaminated spoon was then placed on the counter and placed in a container with other utensils in the water.

No effort was made to sanitize work surfaces and the spoon would be used for ready-to-eat foods. The inspector said this was ‘very bad practice and would lead to cross-contamination with food poisoning bacteria’.

Some of the other most damning findings of the food hygiene report include:

  • The waste area was full of clutter and disused items, including the foul smelling liquid that spilled
  • Cooked food temperature records appeared unreliable, inspector says
  • It was apparent that staff were not working safely with food and were not supervised to ensure good hygiene practices.
  • There was no detergent to clean the surfaces available on site

  • A damp, stained kitchen towel has been left on a work surface in the kitchen

  • Chicken breasts and king prawns were found thawing on the kitchen drainer instead of being left in the fridge overnight

  • Two large pots of cooked rice were found cooling to room temperature in the kitchen, posing a risk of toxin formation



By signing up to the SurreyLive newsletter you will receive our daily news email.

It couldn’t be easier and it only takes a few seconds – just tap here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.

You can also enter your address at the top of this page in the box below the image on most desktop and mobile platforms.

Changed your mind? There is an “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of every newsletter we send.

The inspector wrote, in conclusion: “It is clear from the content of this report that staff are not working safely with food. This poses a risk to public health and must be addressed without delay. Additionally, it was apparent that staff were not effectively supervised to ensure they were following good hygiene practices.”

SurreyLive attempted to contact Curry Inn by email and phone to ask what steps have been taken to improve since the inspection, but received no response.

Download the SurreyLive app for the best reading experience and to get news from the areas that matter most to you. Download it via the App store for iOS or Google Play for Android.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.